27 Dec 2009

A message in a bottle...

So, I figured I'd begin as though we are dear friends, long-lost lovers, who've sadly lost touch with one another. As though, by writing here, I am calling to you across the echoing dark of cyberspace in the hopes that you will hear me and call back your own distant reply.

Nothing much has changed since we last spoke. My family are well, friends have come and gone, as you did, and the world has turned. Nothing much has changed, but everything is different. After you left, I lived -- no, I didn't live. I existed -- in a blurry, dead haze where nothing could reach me. I waited for you in restless slumber, until one day, my eyes opened and the fog had lifted.
I had dreamt while I slept, and in my dreams I saw him. I dreamt of his beautiful face, his eyes shining like the deepest blue sapphires, his smile burning through me -- through her -- like white fire. I saw his face through her eyes, felt his touch through her skin, felt his kiss on her lips. I felt the adrenaline running like acid through her veins, the spike of fear stabbing into her and impelling her to flee. Even now, almost a year later, I can still hear the ghostly drum of her heart beating like a jealous echo of my own. I can feel that panicked metronome driving mine to pick up pace and my breathing to grow ragged and short, as though I am being chased, not her.

I awoke with his face clear and her emotions startlingly intense in my mind, and realised that I was not waiting for you. I was waiting for them. My whole life, I was always waiting for them.

The wait was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment